No. 1044/1090 Index Prev Next
From: Dave
Newsgroups: fj.soc.copyright,alt.music.mp3.napster,law.school.copyright,tnn.law.copyright,alt.napster,misc.int-property,soc.history.property
Subject: Re: Comparative copyright and copyright history may subvert current
 copyright trends
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 09:00:59 -0400

>  On the other hand it seems equally extreme to suggest that no lessons
>  can be learned by viewing the legal systems of other countries.  People
>  do learn from studying cultures in a Petri dish.
>
>  Isaac

Lessons can be learned, but do not expect the culture to work outside of the
Petri dish. One of my favorite examples of such is something I learned years ago
when I considered a career in health. One " fact"  is that in laboratory studies,
phytates and oxalates, found in certain vegetables (spinach, broccoli, e.g.),
bind with calcium and render it unusable. It was thus concluded that calcium from
vegetables such as broccoli and spinach is unavailable for use to the body. It
turns out that vegetarians not eating dairy products and obtain calcium from
these sources have higher bone masses. Obviously (in this case) the Petri dish is
not reflective of reality. Economic systems are vastly more complex.

8^) Dave

Next
Continue