No. 925/1090 Index Prev Next
From: Dave
Newsgroups: fj.soc.copyright,alt.music.mp3.napster,law.school.copyright,tnn.law.copyright,alt.napster,misc.int-property,soc.history.property
Subject: Re: Comparative copyright and copyright history may subvert current
 copyright trends
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 07:53:11 -0400

Unless your talking about microorganisms, cultures do not grow in a Petri
dish. You cannot possibly take one aspect of a culture and expect it to work
the same in another entirely different culture. It reminds me of people
screaming for socialization of certain programs here in the United States.
For instance, they want the health care socialized health care systems of
other countries and use them as examples. Watch what happens when they get
hit with the tax bill. You're comparing apples and oranges, and should know
better.

8^) Dave

>  For a paper that looks at the philosophical and legal history of
>  copyright law in the United States as well as its recent application to
>  the entertainment industry during the 80s and 90s.
>
>  In the NAPSTER age these issues must be considered.
>
>  The paper also explores the difference between conservative US copyright
>  laws and relatively liberal Japanese laws.  If copyright is designed to
>  'promote the useful arts and science' as suggested in the US
>  Constitution, why is it that enforcement of US copyright law arguably
>  diminishes creative production (i.e., consider how sampling in rap was
>  stifled) while Japan is the greatest pop culture exporter in Asia --
>  despite liberal copyright law?
>
>  The paper looks at history, the constitution, rap, video, home taping,
>  Japanese and US numbers, etc. to argue that copyright law in the US
>  needs to be liberalized.

Next
Continue < slrn8tbpik.hn.isaac@latveria.castledoom.org>
< 39DC7B8A.3EF40E2B@ix.netcom.com>